Nepal Development Initiative (NEDI) is registered with the government agencies of Nepal as a non-profit and a non-political, as a development organization in 2003. NEDI aims to uplift Nepali people from vicious poverty and create enable environment for dignified life through informing, empowering and involving youth, women and marginalized people. Since its inception, NEDI has been working for poor and marginalized rural people to empower them in the process of meeting their basic needs, improving livelihoods and leadership development.
NEDI envisions to creating an enabling environment for building a just, equitable, peaceful and prosperous society through social, economic and political empowerment of the rural poor, youth and women.
NEDI states, sustainable development through participatory, bottom-up, appreciative and respectful approach, optimum utilization of local resources and knowledge as well as informing, empowering, encouraging and involving youth and rural people.
To ensure sustained livelihood and dignified lives of people under poverty line
NEDI adopts the following broad objectives to reach its goal:
- Implement development activities with a rights-based perspective to improve the socio-economic status of the poor, oppressed, and vulnerable groups.
- Organize awareness raising and sensitization activities for children, youth, women and elderly people to ensure their fundamental rights and meeting basic needs.
- Enhance the capacity of youth and support for leadership development to ensure their participation on all level of decision making process.
- Contribute on sustained livelihood of marginalized community by strengthening and encouraging on innovation and entrepreneurship development and supporting ICT and rural infrastructure development activities.
- Organize research and advocacy campaign and publish educational, advocacy, and development publications.
- Work together with different state and non-state agencies to build up a good and well govern social security system for respectful, secure and dignified life of people under poverty line.
NEDI Core Values and Principles:
- Affirmative action
- Environmental friendly
- Partnership with multi stakeholders
- Inclusive Justice
- Equity and equality
- Coordination and collaboration
- Mutual respect
- Solidarity with the poor
- Quality of excellence
- Social Justice
Sustainable Rural Development Program (SRDP) : SRDP is supporting to transform and empower life of rural people enhancing leadership and support to meeting basic needs quality health services, education, food and nutrition, clean and eco-friendly living environment. Also, this program is focusing to increase youth participation on prompting leadership development as well as focusing for people friendly, safe and modern infrastructure. This program is encouraging youth on innovation and enterprise development to sustain their life and create employment which ultimately aims to poverty eradication as well reach the target of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Nepal.
Youth Empowerment and Employment Program (YEEP): This program is focusing on capacity building and leadership development of youth for their better participation in all level of decision making process and enhance knowledge and skills for employment.
Promoting Good Governance and Pro-people Social Security (PGGPSS) : This program is focused to ensure the good governance in state and not-state institutions, empowerment of youth and student on monitoring of gender responsive budgeting, social security and social welfare state mechanism, monitoring of service delivery at local level, basic principle of rule of law and environmental friendly and sustainable development.
SAHAS : This program is stated for participation of youths and students to fight against the all kinds of discrimination such as caste, gender, generation, and class at school, house, community and nation as well.
Therefore, besides implementing mentioned programmes at grassroots, it is also extensively engaged in advocacy, lobbying and networking at local, national and international levels to protect and promote fundamental rights, ensure basic needs, climate and social justice.